Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dawson and the weekend

I look this good for a reason!!!

We are finally home and doing good. Dawson seems very alert and back to himself again. That makes me so happy and is such a relief. The home health care nurse comes every day to change his dressings, check vitals and to help administer his meds. Dawson is on a very strict schedule and his meds have to be infused every 6 hours and the line has to be flushed in between everything. I was so overwhelmed the first night the nurse explained everything we had to do. Derek was so stressed out and was ready to admit Dawson in the hospital again. He had to leave for the weekend for work, so I was on my own. He didn't want me to have to have all the responsibility. I have no medical background, so I was a little unsure of myself, especially cause the antibiotics weren't pre-mixed. I was going to have to deal with needles, little viles of meds, mixing, flushing, making sure there weren't any air bubbles in anything, gloves, sterilization, the iv, cords, the little machine, his picc line and who knows what else. A little over whelming. Luckily, I have the best mom in the entire world and she came down to stay and help while Derek was gone. She cooked, cleaned, did laundry, dishes and even got up with me in the middle of the night to help with the meds. She was a life savor and Derek was a lot more comfortable with her being here with me. I made it through the weekend and now I'm a pro.!!! Anyway, I'm so grateful for all the support I have in my life. My family is the best ever. Between my mom, dad, Michelle and Jake, I didn't have to worry about Dylan and Ella once. They were up in cedar til today. I missed them like crazy, but was glad I had time to learn and focus on Dawson. More updates and pictures to come...

8 comments:

Sheena said...

It sounds like you are a pro! Good luck with everything & I know you will grow from this experience. We missed you at the reunion :)

Michelle said...

That would be so overwhelming, your poor little baby. I want to give him a big squeeze! I might come down sometime this week . . . I'll call you tomorrow :)

Gayle Speechly said...

He is beautiful and looks like you. I can see where he gets his beautiful looks. I'm praying for you and him. Hope he continues to get better. I'll bet you are grateful for the meds and healthcare. We missed you all at the reunion. Best of everything in the days to come.

Val said...

Glad your home and doing well. Dawson looks great (as do you!) and I'm sure things will be back to normal before you know it! Good job nurse Lins!

The McCulloughs said...

I am glad to hear that he is doing better and you are being a quick study in the nurse department! I am sooo sorry for you and please let me know if I can do ANYTHING!! I could take your kids or bring you dinner, just text me and let me know!

Kristen said...

Oh Lindsey...I just checked your blog today and got caught up on everything. That is so crazy. I am glad things are going better for Dawson. Hang in there!

Nat Lud said...

I totally understand sista! Being a nurse was never something I aspired to but sometimes ya just get all sorts of unasked for training! ;) Hope he stays well and you get caught up on some sleep. He is seriously such a handsome baby!

BJ and Amber said...

I hope all going better for you now! I've been thinking of you and hoping that Dawson is doing well and getting better! Sorry you've had to deal with such a scary, stressful situation.