Tuesday, July 21, 2009

sick sick dawson

Well, last night, Monday July 20th, Dawson was admitted to the hospital. He seemed fine all day. In fact, Michelle and I had ventured on an outing with all 5 kids. I will never do that again! Anyway, we ran a couple of errands and our last stop was Old Navy. What a nightmare... need I say more. So, by the time I got home it was around 6:30. From the time I got Dawson out of his car seat he acted like a different child. He was so fussy and wouldn't stop whimpering. I thought that maybe he was tired so between Derek and I, we were rocking him for hours. The later it got, the worse he became. Every time we touched or moved him, you could tell he was in agonizing pain. It was so horrible. I knew something was wrong. We finally took his temp which was 100'. I called the night clinic and they told us that if it was that high with an ear thermometer, it would definitely be higher with a rectal thermometer. We took him in and his temp was 103'. We had to immediately admit him. When newborns have a temp that high, Doctors are very concerned. When we arrived to the hospital, they immediately took him, started an iv with anti biotics, took his blood and did a spinal tap. They really had no idea what was wrong so there has been a lot of testing while we wait and wonder whats wrong with our little Dawson. By morning, all tests had come back negative. So, it was more waiting and wondering.
Today is Wednesday morning. The Doctor just left and informed me that Dawson has GROUP B STREP. Now, I tested positive for group B strep while I was pregnant, I was treated properly with antibiotics before delivery and thought that was the last we'd here of it. I was wrong. Group B lives on the skin and can be transferred to the baby while delivering. A person can get group B at anytime. I didn't have it with Dylan or Ella, so it seemed weird that I got it. Group B on an adult is no big deal at all, but can be life threatening in a newborn if not treated. Obviously, we are treating it, but there are some side affects of one of the three anti biotics. Those include hearing loss and/or kidney problems. Dawson has to have a pic line put into him, which will feed the antibiotics closer to the heart. He will have the pic line and be on the anti biotics for 14 days. We wont have to be in the Hospital, but we will have to have home health care come several times a day. The Doctors don't think that Dawson got the group b from me. They think the late on set was transferred to Dawson by someone else that is a carrier. We will probably never know exactly how he got it. Please keep us in your prayers. I know we have lots of wonderful support.

7 comments:

Sheena said...

I'm so sorry! I work in Pediatrics & take care of many babies with the same situation. It can be scary but he will be ok in the end. I hope everything goes well. We will keep you in our prayers :)

Val said...

Oh Lins - I'm so sorry. That is so scary and stressful. Dawson and your family will be in our prayers. Love you.

Kisten Downey said...

Lindsey that is horrible.. Im so sorry, please let me kow if there is anything i can do.. I can take your kids anytime if you need me.. Brooks and Quincy would love it.. Please dont hesitate to call me.. Your family is in our prayers.

April said...

Lindsey that is so scary. I glad you took him and that its under control. Those newborns can be so fragile. Keep us posted. Your in our prayers for sure. Love ya and I guess this means we won't see you at the reunion, boo hoo but we understand.
And he is the cutest thing ever!!!!!

Brooke said...

what a week! I am so glad he is able to come home...much better than him being in the hospital. I have been so worried and scared for you. It's wierd that all this happened so quickly. I'm so sorry. Poor baby. He's in our prayers.

Dion Seneca said...

Oh my goodness, Lins! That is so sad! I will definitely keep you and sweet Dawson in my prayers. Let's set up a day that I can come get your older kids to play for the day. You need the time alone with your sick little guy!

The McCulloughs said...

OOOH Lindsey, I am sooo sorry! Your poor little guy! Taggart was born 6 1/2 weeks early, so I know what it is like to watch your little baby suffer. I am glad you caught it quickly and i hope he gets better soon. Hang in there and know that we are praying for you all!